Old July 12th 04, 06:48 AM
Arjun Ray

In , frlpwr wrote:

| I have always used Tomahawk traps, 2-door deluxe models.

I use Safeguard traps, which are the same basic havahart design
but better engineered. The only downside is that the trip plate
is too thin (a cat could step over it), but this can be fixed by
taping a 6" piece of stiff cardboard to the plate, making a longer
ramp.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/recommendtrap.htm

| However, I purchased five new traps in May and was sorely
| disappointed in the quality. Two of the backdoor clips have
| already broken,

Yes, this happened quickly with my Tomahawk too. I don't really
like the eyehole+latch design on the second door either: the latch
gets in the way when transfering cats.

| one trap was so bent in shipping the frontdoor wouldn't open

Interesting. This is exactly what happened to me too. I sent it
back and they promptly shipped a good one.

| Next time, I'm ordering the large Tru-Catch traps.

They are heavy! And setting the trigger is a bit of an art form.
But otherwise they're very good too.

One really has to go with 36" models, so-called "raccoon traps".
Some of the traps out there being marketed as "cat traps" are just
too small.