Old September 3rd 16, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Clear Sticky Plastic

On 9/2/2016 3:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 9/1/2016 4:48 PM, MaryL wrote:
On 9/1/2016 8:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Buffy gives me fits when I try to clip her claws. I don't really
understand it. When I first adopted her she was fine with it. She just
sat in my lap, docile as can be. Clip, clip, clip. Easy peasy. I
thought wow, this is going to be a breeze! Until she turned back into a
cat again and stopped cooperating. It's been a real fight ever since.

I've got the claw marks to prove it:

https://s12.postimg.org/o7zgn85st/ouch.jpg

That was just from her jumping down off my lap. OUCH!

She has two scratching posts, one a verticle post which she completely
ignores. The horizontal one is pretty much cardboard and I think all it
does is *sharpen* her claws.

I mentioned to a neighbor Buffy is really doing a number on the back of
the chairs in my living room. I put some strips of clear packing tape
along the side of the chair where she was ripping up the fabric.

My neighbor led me out to her garage and handed me a large roll of clear
peel-and-stick plastic film. It's a Scotch brand product. Wow! Thank
you! Buffy can now scratch to her heart's content and the fabric won't
be ripped to shreds.

I can't say the same thing about me not being ripped to shreds. LOL

Jill

Ouch! Those scratches look nasty. Holly(RB) would let me do almost
anything *except* trim her claws, so I used to take her to the vet's
office and have one of their techs trim them for me. Now, I have to
take all three cats in for their "pedicures" because my close-up vision
has become so bad that I am afraid I would cut into the quick.
Fortunately, it doesn't cost much to have their claws cut. It's not
like a visit to the vet.

MaryL

I have a hefty supply of band aids and neosporin ointment.

Jill

I'm not concerned about injuring myself. I'm afraid I could injure my
cats by cutting into the quick. I have had vision problems all my life,
but it has become much worse in recent years. I use a Kindle for
reading so I can increase the font, but I might not see the dark quick
in my cats' claws. So, they go tot a professional for clipping.

MaryL