Old October 3rd 13, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default Scratched!

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:27:12 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia didn't mean to do it. She jumped up on the arm of the sofa.
Well, she was attempting to. She made a slight miscalculation. She
landed awkwardly, missed her mark. She extended her back claws to get
traction, digging into my shoulder. They're just scratches, not
puncture wounds. But I yelled, "OUCH!" (I also got a face full of soft
belly fur when she scrambled up.)

I've cleaned the scratches with hydrogen peroxide. She didn't mean to
scratch me. This might be why she didn't sleep with me last night.
Maybe she thought I was upset with her. I did hear her a couple of
times in the middle of the night, eating her dry Rx food.

Of course, after daylight, she joined me on the bed and gently tapped
me on my nose. Time to wake up! It's so sweet.

Jill

Boyfie accidentally scratched me once. He was well asleep on my lap,
stretched and fell off, grabbing me on the way down.
Of course, like Persia, he didn't mean to scratch me and like her he
kept away from me for a day.
Interesting. Do gentle cats know that they shouldn't scratch and if
they do, even accidentally, are afraid about having done so?
If so, why? I have never raised my voice to Boyfie, and certainly never
punished him in any way. He has no reason to worry about accidentally
scratching me, but it was obviously of some concern to him.
He just "knew" somehow that scratching meowmie was bad. How?

Tweed

The worst scratches Cinders ever gave me were from the time she fell into
the tub while I was taking a bath. She leaned over too far, trying to
drink the bathwater, and fell in. In her haste to get away from the
nasty wetness, she inadvertently used my leg as a launch platform,
instinctively digging in her claws for better traction.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.