Old October 3rd 13, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Scratched!

"jmcquown" wrote in message

I've cleaned the scratches with hydrogen peroxide. She didn't mean to
scratch me. This might be why she didn't sleep with me last night. Maybe
she thought I was upset with her. I did hear her a couple of times in the
middle of the night, eating her dry Rx food.

Of course, after daylight, she joined me on the bed and gently tapped me
on my nose. Time to wake up! It's so sweet.

Jill

Boyfie accidentally scratched me once. He was well asleep on my lap,
stretched and fell off, grabbing me on the way down.
Of course, like Persia, he didn't mean to scratch me and like her he kept
away from me for a day.
Interesting. Do gentle cats know that they shouldn't scratch and if they
do, even accidentally, are afraid about having done so?
If so, why? I have never raised my voice to Boyfie, and certainly never
punished him in any way. He has no reason to worry about accidentally
scratching me, but it was obviously of some concern to him.
He just "knew" somehow that scratching meowmie was bad. How?

Tweed

IMHO, many cats are smart enough to realize they've done something to
hurt their human, even if they didn't intend to.

I yelled OUCH! out of pure reflex. Persia has some pretty wicked back
claws! I wasn't specifically yelling at *her*. Nor was I mad at her.
I didn't punish her in any way. I've never done that, for any reason.

Persia would beg to differ when it comes to vet checkups! LOL

I don't know how, but cats do seem to know when they've accidently
scratched the human they love.

Jill