Old October 4th 13, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Scratched!

m...

Christina Websell wrote:

Boyfie accidentally scratched me once. He was well asleep on my lap,
stretched and fell off, grabbing me on the way down.
Of course, like Persia, he didn't mean to scratch me and like her he kept
away from me for a day.
Interesting. Do gentle cats know that they shouldn't scratch and if they
do, even accidentally, are afraid about having done so?
If so, why? I have never raised my voice to Boyfie, and certainly never
punished him in any way. He has no reason to worry about accidentally
scratching me, but it was obviously of some concern to him.
He just "knew" somehow that scratching meowmie was bad. How?

Tweed

Telepathy? (I think most of us are convinced that cats read our minds.)

I'd agree with the telepathy idea except that I wasn't annoyed so there was
nothing to "read". It was a pure reflex action to grab my leg as he was
falling and I didn't say a word to him about it. Like Persia, he kept away
from me for a day. He's always somehow known things. He sometimes jumps on
the kitchen worktop to see if there is food there, but never when I am in
the room, and he jumps down immediately if he hears me approaching. "What
me? on the worktop? no chance.."
I've never corrected him for doing it, he just *knows* somehow that it's a
bit naughty.
He also "knows* he isn't allowed in my bedroom and when I found him in there
once (years ago) he nearly fainted. He used to faint at the vets, so that
suggests that me finding him in my bedroom was a stressful experience.
I keep my bedroom door shut 24/7 because I am a really bad sleeper not
because I wouldn't like him there. But I left it slightly open one day and
as cats do, he was exploring the unexplored.
Poor chap. It was "OMG, I'm not supposed to be here"

Tweed