Old August 15th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default [OT] Thunderbird is go!

Maybe after all that programming you or the puter are not feeling very
"HUGGIE" at the moment!!!
"Yowie" wrote in message
On Wednesday, Joel's PC contracted the "VirusRemover2008" virus - he
thinks it was via playing a flashgame, but can't be sure. I tried my best,
but it was very *very* infected. It had hijacked all outlets to the
internet, and would only connect to a particular page that would - after
paying $29.95 download the 'tool' that would 'remove' it. Any attempt to
scan the computer with AVG (our virus protection) resulted in a hang; and
since it had subverted IE, I couldn't download anything else.

In the end, we had to wipe his hard drive and start again. Of course,
being the folks that we are, we had put all our Windows disks plus the
games disks in a 'safe' place, so it took a while to find them and start
again. He still can't find the OEM code for Call of Duty 4, so is still
going a little stir crazy.

As a result, we've both decided to take the plunge and go over to Firefox
& Thunderbird as they are both less susceptible to virii (not totally
secure, but safer). Using Firefox is easy, but this new fangled mail &
news program is going to take a little getting used to.

Setting up newsgroups wasn't too painful (reminds me of Netscape, and I
always liked Netscape better than IE), but getting it to sort my mail such
that all the messages go int the right folders. ACK! Oh well, steep
learning curves aren't steep forever. I do like the automatic spell check
here. Wish me luck!

Yowie
--
I haven't figured out how to put a .sig in yet.