Old April 18th 16, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default The natives are restless

On 4/18/2016 8:06 AM, Larry Stark wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:06:58 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article , Joy
wrote:
On 4/14/2016 7:55 AM, Tigger wrote:
Joy wrote:
Both of my cats are indoor-only, and usually don't seem to be
bothered by rain. However, today for some reason, they are very
restless.

They've gotten into the habit of spending most of the day on my bed,
with Koala usually under the quilt on top. They may come out to ask
for treats when I'm fixing my lunch, but usually they go back to the
bed by the time I sit down to eat.

I eat my meals in my recliner. Today they were both in the living
room while I ate my lunch. Pickles jumped up in my lap as I started
to eat, and I encouraged her to get down, since I don't allow cats on
my lap while I'm eating. I had barely finished when Koala jumped up.
He walked around on my lap, checked out the small tables on each side
of my chair, then jumped down. About a minute later he repeated the
process. He did this several times, once lying down, but getting up
almost immediately. A little later Pickles came up and settled on my
lap for several minutes.

I wonder what's different about this rain to make them so restless.
There's no thunder an lightning.

Barometric pressure changes, infra sound, change in electric fields, a
combination of things...

Besides which, if we could understand them they wouldn't be cats. ;-)

So true!

Judith

Just when a person does think you understand them they change again!!!
LOL

Exactly.

Now they're working at confusing me about their food. My vet is most
concerned with tooth problems, so she has me feed them dry food. When I
got Koala, I was giving Lindy (RB) a little bit of gooshy food twice a
day, so Koala decided he had to have some too. That has continued.

Pickles has never shown any interest in canned food, except for tuna.
Her usual routine is to watch me give Koala his canned food, then order
me to follow her into the living room for some quality petting and tummy
rubs.

Okay, I got the routine down. I guess that was the problem. I knew (or
thought I knew) what to expect. In the past few weeks they have decided
to shake things up a bit. Sometimes Pickles will stick her head into
Koala's dish as soon as I put the food down. Koala usually starts
eating at the opposite end of the oval dish, then he walks away after a
minute or two. That means I have to fix another dish for him.

Sometimes he looks at the food, then walks away. If Pickles is there,
she starts eating and I fix Koala another dish. But sometimes Pickles
doesn't show up, in which case I don't fix another dish.

Besides the fact that I'm now spending more on canned cat food, I'm
continually off balance, because I never know which of the three things
will happen when I put the canned food down.