Old April 13th 04, 04:45 PM
Yngver

Gail" wrote:

My 9-month old spayed female has been diagnosed with asthma. She is being
treated with Brethine and prednisone, along with an ointment for an
opportunistic
eye infection. Has anyone had any experience with this ... or suggestions?

Our six year old cat was diagnosed with mild asthma last year. Because long
term use of prednisone can cause health problems (and weight gain, which our
cat certainly did not need), our vet prescribed an inhaled coristeroid,
Flovent. It's used with the Aerokat inhaler. Since you have already been given
the link to the yahoo group on feline asthma, you will probably read more about
using inhaled medication there. If you are interested, there is a separate
yahoo group for inhaled medication for cats with asthma,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/felineasthma_inhaledmeds/

Inhaled medications for asthma treatment do not have the negative side effects
of long term treatment with oral medications.