Old October 8th 04, 04:35 AM
Judy

"Iain" wrote in message
om...
I have a semi-indoor cat. I want to make her an outdoor one so I don't
have to worry about her escaping through any of the many exits(patio
doors, conservatory, etc). I live in a cat-friendly neighbourhood but
my cat six months old has only been out on a liesh thrice a week on
average for about ten minutes each time. She was off the liesh briefly
during that time.

I think she has enough experience of outside to not stray, and is a
really clever, neuteren, girl, but she's my first cat and I want to be
sure. How can I?

~Iain

I live in a cat friendly neighbourhood and spayed females - both outdoor
cats.

I spent a few weeks getting mey previous cat and now current cat, getting
used to the great out doors.

First of all, I spent time with them outside on the leash. We'd do the walks
around the block and when they turned (on their own) up our walkway - they
were ready to be turned loose as they knew where they lived. Then they were
released from the leash. Then I went out with them. They never travelled
far.

From my experience, once spayed females know where they live they do not
stray.

When my current cat is out, I check on her about every hour. When the front
door opens, she either shoots in like a rocket if she wants in, or she just
shows herself, if she's not ready. My previous cat was the same.

I can only suggest that when your cats are out that you check on them from
time to time.