Old March 24th 04, 03:28 AM
Takayuki

Kreisleriana wrote:

We found this hilarious, and as we drove around southern Victoria, we
kept warning each other to beware of the Giant Otway Black Snail.
Have you seen any Giant Otway Black Snails? Don't fall asleep, a
Giant Otway Black Snail will get you.

We stayed at his mother's place on the shore (Apollo Bay, if anyone
knows the area), and were sitting on the beach one evening as the sun
was setting. It was a nice little campground, with a nice little
wooden deck and children's playground. And gee whiz, we saw an
enormous black snail, chugging along the deck. We laughed. Uh oh,
there it is, the deadly Giant Otway Black Snail. Five minutes later,
we saw a few more. Ten minutes-- well, if something could be swarming
with snails, that deck was. Not wanting to be needled, anesthetized,
and our innards sucked out, we beat it and left the beach to the
snails.

That does sound sort of scary. I've been bitten by a slug before,
so I know they do have little scraping teeth. And it's amazing how
there are tiny sea snails that can cut through clam shells and eat the
insides.