Old June 27th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default My cats have never been out

"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in message
MaryL presented the following explanation :
"*carmen*" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there
I have two cats, 4 and 5 years old who have always lived inside in a
flat. Now we have moved to a house with garden and a forest behind and
we were so looking forwards to leave the cats to enjoy.. but I am
scared they panic or get lost or a bigger aninmal attacks them (or
them attacking a bigger animal) ... Any suggestions?
thanks
Carmen

I would keep them indoors. I believe cats are safer indoors, and they
will be just as happy if you provide lots of toys, attention, and a
climbing surface (such as a cat tree). I notice that you live in the UK,
so you don't have as many predators as we have -- but there are some, and
cars are a danger everywhere (just not as many as in a city).

MaryL

In the UK it is generally people that live in above ground apartments that
keep them in.

They have to be able to hunt don't they ?

My indoor cat hunts and kills a rubber snake and presents it to me several
times a day. She does this with gusto, and presents it to me with a great
deal of satisfaction. She tires herself out with this activity and then
flakes out.

The only downside: I have to make sure the snake is put up at night or she
wakes me up howling from conquering to presenting.