Old July 8th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

Default cat needs to lose weight - calorie question

On Jul 8, 3:50*am, "
wrote:
On Jul 3, 5:15*pm, Kalmia wrote:

Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
too.

He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
a/c on. *No health problems, tho.

Thanks.

When I got my first Ragdoll, he was food crazy. He had been outside
begging for food before he was turned into a shelter, so he ate every
meal like it would be his last. And this was the first time I had to
stop free feeding. He was also, young and still growing, so some of
his weight gain was natural, and some of it was eating too much. He
got up to 20 lbs.

Then, because he had the stinkiest poop, I changed his food to Royal
Canin Maine Coon food. I chose Royal Canin because their senior food
had really helped my elderly cat. And I figured my jumbo Ragdoll could
use a food that was designed for a larger cat.

By accident, I discovered the way to get a cat to lose weight. Larger
kibbles. When I had served teh regular food, Jay Jay inhaled the food.
But when I served the larger kibbles, he had to slow down and actually
crunch it a bit. It took the same amount of time to feel satisfied,
but he was actually eating less. And he was able to walk away from a
bowl that had food in it.

I was able to go back to free feeding, and he lost 4 lbs on his own.
For the past 3 years, his weight has been 16 lbs and 1-2 oz every time
I weigh him. And that is with kibble available 24/7 and canned food
once a day.

What brand are you feeding him which comes in large kibble size?