Old March 5th 05, 08:45 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"bill zwick via CatKB.com" wrote:

Priscilla, Shadow walker:

the vet gave her fvrcp, rabies and did the felv/fiv test. the only one I
understand is the rabies. no idea what fvrcp is. he showed me the test, an
instrument which had what i assumed was a test strip. on it was a very
small blue spot at the side which he said indicated a "touch of feline
luekemia". he said some cats can "throw the virus off" and to bring her
back in 30 days for retesting.

OK. Gotcha. Yes, with good nutrition and care she could knock the
virus out. False positives are also possible.

Our other cat has had her shots is due again
in May. "Cali" , our ferrel, is adapting to inside living, sleeps in the
living room, likes to watch our canaries, uses the litter box, eats and
when in the mood head butts the dogs. as yet we can't touch her. I'm
concerned about her and don't feel i could have her "put down" . really
dont know what to do. thank you for your advice. Bill

Sounds like you're doing fine. Patience. Get her associating you with
food, and watch out she doesn't bond to the other animals and not to
you. I would recommend isolation away from all non-human wildlife until
she's adjusted more to you. (Try treats like bits of chicken or
sardines in a saucer which each day you move closer to yourself.) When
I socialized Sebbie the expression "Stockholm syndrome" kept going
through my mind, because in a sense I had kidnapped him and was holding
him hostage while I got him to associate me with the source of all good
things. An evil thing to do to a person, but a good thing when done to
a feral. Life isn't simple, is it? ;-)

Priscilla
--
"And what's this crap about Sodomites? It's always Sodomites this and
Sodomites that. What about us Gomorrahians? We were there too; we