Old October 29th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Default Plugs, etc.--one can never get complacent

jmc wrote:

I feel your pain. Meep has had cystitis attacks twice. Fortunately,
she's female so doesn't block (I'd never let her get that bad) but I
hadn't learned her little clues before the second time, when she started
peeing blood (yikes!)

All I can suggest here is to watch him closely, and try to learn the
little clues that all is not well. Meep also only peed once a day,
which is a precursor to problems, according to my vet: concentrated
urine is much more likely to crystallize. He's not drinking enough.

Drinking is really, really important. You gotta get him to drink. Try
putting multiple sources of water all over the house, especially in
areas he spends time in. Note which ones he drinks from and which he
doesn't. At Meep's second attack, she only had water near her food, and
didn't drink much. I've since realized she prefers her water away from
her food. She has one bowl of water near her cat furniture downstairs,
a Drinkwell in this room, and a big water bowl in the bedroom, where she
prefers to drink. She drinks a LOT more now than she used to.

Meep get a mix of Royal Canin c/d and Iams Senior 7+ for her dry food. I
have more problem with her canned, she flatly refuses most high-quality
canned food, so she gets one small can of whatever she'll eat, each
night. She gets her dry food mostly free choice, a controlled amount
though.

For a cat with cystitis, wet food is preferred over dry. You can add a
bit of water to his wet food as well, I do that for Meep as well.

I get mixed signals here too. I've had one vet tell me it's not a good
idea to keep them on c/d for too long, because the "opposite" crystals
can form, but another has said I can keep her on c/d for life. I've
been splitting the difference with the half-and-half. Seems to be
working though. If I put her in a high-stress situation (like moving or
a cattery), I switch her to all c/d beforehand.

My vet did both the antibiotics and the painkillers, at the clinic. I
had to give her a series of antibiotic pills for a few days after the
second attack. I think it's "just in case" the problem is caused by a
bacterial infection, or to prevent a secondary infection, caused by
damage from the crystals.

[peeing in small amt of pellets]

Well, depends on the cat. Meep hates the special pellets, uses the box
but pees over the edge. If I have to use them again, I'll put a smaller
box inside a bigger one, so when she does this I still get a sample.

If he doesn't, the vet can get a sample using a needle. The whole idea
gave me the willies, and still does, but there was no ill effects when
they did this for Meep, since she's got some incredible sphincter
control and no vet has managed to get a sample by attempted expressing.

Good luck. I'd also suggest doing some research on this NG, these
problems are very common so there's a lot of posts about them here. To
save you a bit of time, here's a quote of a post I did just the other day:

"[...]have you talked to your vet about a glucosamine supplement? It is
supposed to coat the bladder and reduce damage/discomfort from any
crystals that form. It seems to be working very well for Meep, she had
two cystitis attacks within months of each other, but she's been fine
now for nearly a year. I actually give her a glucosamine/chonodroitin
supplement from Dr Fosters and Smith, with my vet's blessing. I also
keep around a tube of 'urinary acidifier', which is essentially a
dl-methionine supplement - if I think she's uncomfortable, I start
feeding her the recommended dosage, and within a day or so she's back to
normal.

Joint ca http://tinyurl.com/y7h65s

Urinary acidifier: http://tinyurl.com/mvvbw "

Hope this helps, and good luck!

jmc

Thanks, jmc! We are pretty much on the same page on most of
the issues and the responses, although you are ahead of me on
the curve when it comes to glucosamine. Also, I had been
thinking of using a small litterbox, and the idea of putting
it inside the larger one is great!

I have been pondering these issues ever since Mingy blocked in
January 2005. At the time, I spoke about it here and did much
research. Now I have been doing more research, trying to get
more up-to-date info re the foods, etc. I find it interesting
that we both, for example, are reluctant to use straight food
intended for controlling crystals. I also use part prescribed
food and part normal (but good) food, and I also vary the
amount, depending on how stressed Mingy is. [I REALLY wish
Halloween was not coming up in a few days, because Mingy will
be freaked out be the constant ringing of the doorbell--not
what he needs now. It is very tempting to just stay on the
doorstep--or maybe plant myself at the storm door. Maybe I'll
just have to do that. Mingy's well-being comes first, as cat
slaves know.)

Like Meep, Mingy really prefers dry food, alas. I have gotten
him to eat more canned food, but he has not totally gotten off
the dry food. I will push him even harder to do so, but you
know cats.... There is always the concern that they do need
to eat! I was pleased to see the c/d mashes, since Mingy
likes his food in pretty much puree form.

After his first blockage, I did get him a fountain, which he
loves, and I put some water for him in my bedroom. He avails
himself of both sources, but I still think he doesn't
drink--or pee--enough. Maybe I'll go get him some ice today,
since he likes playing with ice in his water and consumes
water as he plays. Of course, he may outsmart me and just
ignore it.

Thanks again, jmc!

--
Jean B.