Old May 9th 04, 08:34 PM
Christine Burel

"Mary" wrote in message
I was just wondering what people thought about having FLV+ and FLV - cats
together. I was told you shouldn't have them together. Even if the

negative is
vaccinated, they can still get FLV from the other cat over time. I had an

FLV+
who became a negative who now lives with a negative. They never interact

with
each other. They're both healthy.

I think if certain circumstances were okay it might be a less of a risk than
what you've been told, i.e., the cats involved are very mellow and unlikely
to fight because I've heard it's transmitted from deep puncture wounds. I
am, however, not an expert and could be wrong about this. Probably the
people who do a lot of cat rescuing would know. I do know my vet wouldn't
have condoned doing it. I think if I couldn't have found a home for Pirate
we would've tried to work out something for him to be with us. I've also
been told that FIV+ cats are generally very sweet (probably why they got
beat up in cat fights).

Christine