Old April 13th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Is it normal?

"Bianca L via CatKB.com" u20815@uwe wrote in message

snip
She get's around perfectly and has no problem with bumping into stuff.
Well I
saw her crash into the bathtub once. Just the other day she figured out
how
to get on the kitchen counter. I still have no idea how she did it.

Duffy navigates beautifully! He will occasionally bump into something if he
is startled or frightened, but that is rare and has never been a "solid"
bump to injure him.

My other cat Frito is in love with her, and I believe takes care of her.
She
meows sometime when she can't hear anyone then my other cat will come
running
to her. She is fine after that. I do have that turbo scratcher. She
doesn't
play with that, she seems to like the toy mice and a feather duster which
seem to be her favorite things to carrry around the house. I do have a
scratching post/tower that her and Frito play on.

One thing about Stevie that I love is she has the sweetest diposition even
for being 4 months old. She has mellowed out my cat Frito. Frito was
really
aggresive sometimes, and Stevie has changed all that.

Duffy also has an incredibly sweet disposition. He is incredibly loving and
loves to be loved. He will sit with his hips in my lap and his front paws
around my neck, and will give me these sweet little head butts and rub his
nose and chin all over my face. He is also a "talker." He walks around the
house going "mrrrryup, mrrrryup, etc."

I did want to ask you does your blind cat have a strange appetite for
food?

I don't know that I would call it a "strange appetite," but Duffy does love
snacks. He comes running whenever I eat, but he doesn't attack my plate.
He knows I will put a tiny portion on a plate for him, and he "lets me know
about if" if I am too slow. I told my sister he is like a little vacuum
cleaner and will instantly clean up almost any type of meat or kitty treat
(almost inhales it). By contrast, Holly only wants her cat food and will
totally ignore any other type of food.

Stevie eats just about anything. Also, she can smell you eating in another
room and she runs for it. She doesn't have any manners about getting on
your
plate while you are eating. I don't know if I am being easy on her, plus
she
doesn't take no for an answer. ( I can't believe I am about ready to tell
another soul this ) One time I started growling/hissing like a cat at her
when she approached my food. This has been the only thing that keeps her
at
bay while I am eating. Does your cat do the same?

Also I wanted to ask about taking your cat to the vet to get shots. When
Stevie got spayed I had them microchip, vaccinate and test for FELV/FIV
while
she was under. I don't want her to go through any stress. Next week she
will
be getting her rabies and I worry about freaking her out. Does your cat do
okay with shots the same as a normal cat would? I just don't want to
traumatize her. I know it's seem a bit paranoid, but I love her

Duffy is frightened when I place her in a carrier and take her to the vet,
but I could say the same thing about Holly. I spray some Feliway in the
carrier about 20 minutes before we leave, and I think that helps. Although
they dislike going to the vet, they certainly are not traumatized. I stay
in the room with them, and they both like for me to keep "hands on"
throughout the examination. Once we get home, both are completely normal
and show no signs of distress. I also give them a little treat after we
return home (which is just cat food for Holly because -- as I said
earlier -- she ignores all other food and treats).

MaryL