Old August 23rd 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Grammar peeves

"Adrian" wrote in message
m...
On 2012-08-20, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I love these conversations about England as it was once.
I was lucky enough to know an elderly lady when I was a child whose
aunt to
used to write to her and her sister, the Miffes Sikes, except it was
much
posher f than my computer allows.
Tweed

I'll bet there's a font, somewhere out there, that renders the "f" in
exactly that way.

The "long s". There are rules when to use it, but I know not what they
are.

Bud

Bear in mind that my elderly friend was born in 1897 so her aunt could
have
been born as early as the 1840's.
ſ in html is supposed to bring it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

Tweed

My paternal grandmother was born in 1897, I was very fond of her.
--
Adrian

Let's just say she took me in every evening to save me from my stepfather.
She took me on holiday every year to great hotels as her companion.
Many years later my mother actually asked if she had *interfered" with me.
I was disgusted by the suggestion..
She was a wonderful woman who had noticed a suffering child., She made me
soup and we played card games and draughts. We did chess but she never
got the drift of forward planning and I beat her every time. I still miss
her.
I'd love to go there again and have her lovely soup and let her beat me at
cards.
Not chess. she never beat me at chess ;-)
One evening she gave me vodka, seemed Ok until I went outside to go home.
I fell in the bushes and so did she.;-)
Lovely memories of a kind woman.
Tweed