Old January 16th 05, 04:01 AM
Margaret

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:29:36 -0500, Greg R wrote:

/snip/

I got a stay cat that comes in and stays in during the day but wants
out at night even when it is cold out. Yes, we do have cat houses
outside for him. (Actual he is our cat now. We got him his shots)
I think he likes to roam at night

Sounds like he's used to the local temperatures and knows what he's doing.
If the outside cat house is heated or he has a cat door to come into the
main house any time, then it can be his decision most of the time. If
there's really bad weather he should probably stay in because he might get
stranded by water or ice and snow and could not get back. Even in clear
weather if he got icy paws I'd keep him in. If there are other dangers in
your neighborhood, they might all become worse in bad weather.

Things would be different with a house cat or if you had just moved to a
colder climate. They shouldn't spend much time out in cold even if they want
to, till they have had several months to adjust gradually, grow thicker fur,
and get plump.

Margaret