Old May 8th 05, 10:33 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

J wrote:
Hi everyone,

I went with my g/f to see a whole bunch of kittens (from three mom's,
all same residence!) and decided on this little feller:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derien/12890617/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derien/12890622/

(He's 4 weeks old) I totally fell in love with him because of all the
kittens in the room, he was leaping and bounding like a crazy thing
and didn't cower when I reached to pick him up like most of the rest
did and he seemed friendly and confident.

My g/f chose the only tabby of the bunch which was a week or more
younger and the runt of the litter but a real cutie too. We pick them
up on 3rd June.

The thing is this: I live in the UK and I'd like my cats to be able
to roam in the day and play outside together while we're at work if
they want, but I have been reading that cat's with predominantly
white fur and blue eyes have a good chance they are deaf. So, if the
likkle white and black one was deaf I'd have to keep them both
indoors. I'd love him still as much, but they'd have to be indoor
cats then.
Basically, I would like someone to confirm that because he has a black
head/face, a bit on his back hip and a black tail, that his hearing
should be fine and I can stop worrying as it's mostly pure white cats
that suffer from deafness???

Many thanks.

I echo what everyone else says pure white cats w/ blue eyes (or odd
eyes) being deaf, or partially.

Since you state that he's only 4 weeks old, his eyes have not yet changed
color. Almost all kittens are born with blue eyes. At about 5-6 weeks,
they start turning color, becoming a kind of dark turquoise colr, then
either green or yellow. If you go to my Webshots page (ling in my sig), you
will find 3 photo albums of Sir Weeble Wobblybottom, who was only a day old
when I got him. Look at his eyes. They were blue when they first opened,
now they are a bright yellow!

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©