Old August 13th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Catnipped's new cat tree

CatNipped wrote:
"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message

I can't find the thread again, so I'll have to post seperately... I
just watched the video of your furry friends exploring their new cat
tree. How cute! It looks like the boys are going to grow up to be VERY
big cats (either that or Jesse is remarkably small...) Looks like they
love that new tree!

No, I'd say that Jessie is about average - she's 7.5 to 8.0 pounds. I
think the boys might be big - if they grown into their ears and tails -
but the are very, very lean cats, almost like Abyssinians , like this
http://tinyurl.com/2fsb59

I get the impression that "average" size for UK cats is somewhat smaller
than in the U.S. The only cat I ever had who weighed less than ten pounds
was Paraclete (born to a mother who was an FLV carrier).(1) I think most
of us here regard ten to twelve pounds as "average", although Melisande
(who doesn't seem particularly large) weights closer to fourteen. Patches
was about eighteen short-hair pounds of pure muscle, and I've known
non-obese cats who weighed as much as twenty.

I don't know, Jessie and Demi are both about 7.5 - 8 pounds. Bandit was
around 9.5 most of her life, but she had a lot of Maine Coon in her
background. Other cats I've seen in shelters and roaming seem to be about
Jessie and Demi's size, so I think even in the US, 9 pounds and over, while
it could be normal for individual cats, is probably higher than the
"average" weight of a cat.

Hugs,

CatNipped

(1) They didn't test for such things, back then, but that's what her
grandmother died of, and my vet had told me the daughter "might be a
carrier". ....Told me AFTER Paraclete was born, of course - I had assumed
an indoor cat couldn't get pregnant, so didn't need to be spayed. (I
hadn't reckoned on the determination of a female cat in heat, so
mama-to-be got out and returned with incipient kittens.)