Old April 27th 04, 02:40 PM
kaeli

In article , oldmolly1955
@REMOVETHISbitches.co.uk enlightened us with...
However I do like to watch agility shows.

Awww those poor doggies being *frced* to run about and get their legs
jarred when the seesaw bangs down, and being forced to weave and bend
and go through tunnels when everyone knows that dogs hate going into
dark tunnels and would prefer to be at home on familiar ground. The
stress of going in the car for hours and being at big noisy scary show
halls is simply cruel. They bark and yelp in panic all the way round the
course.

God, I hope you were being sarcastic to try to make some point that was
lost.

Dogs adore agility.
No one forces them. It's all positive training with treats, unless some
neanderthals somewhere are still using force training. I know of no
trainers who still use that for agility.
A dog works best without fear.

I watched a programme on TV about police dogs the other week and was
in total awe of the job those dogs do. They obviously do get a kick
out of working and being rewarded.

They do indeed. They get a kick, or jerked with the choke chain or
hanged till they go unconscious. Shame when one of them died from it a
few years back isn't it?

That was indeed the old way of training (koehler). Sad, eh? That was why
police dogs couldn't be brought into public without muzzles on.
Of course, most places have stopped such barbarism these days. But you
wouldn't be in touch with the last 15 years or so, I guess. Still
watching 20 year old American programs over on that side of the pond?

~kaeli~
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from
many is research.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace