Old July 9th 04, 08:13 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I am a bit concerned about my 9 month old siberian cat. Two days ago I
noticed that he had a small lump on his chin/lower jaw. Since then it
has grown, and is now the size of a pea. It moves under the skin, and
is not attached to the bone. That whole side of the chin looks
swollen. I think he has some cat achne as well (little black spots),
and was thinking it could be an infection. But I guess it could also
be something more serious...
I couldn't get an appointment at the vet before next thursday (6 days
from now), and am wondering if this is serious enough to take him to
an emergeny vet instead?

Does anyone know what it could be, and whether it is something I
should react to quickly, or if it can wait till next week?

If it grew noticably in such a short time, I'd consider it worth a trip
to the emergency vet.
At his age, I don't think it would be a tumor, but rather an infected
gland (like from acne). Infected glands are very painful (trust me, I
know, I've had them) and if they aren't taken care of, the infection can
become an abscess, which might require actual surgery to drain and fix
up. The sooner this is taken care of, the better. If it's treated early,
no surgery is necessary. Certainly not all infections become abscesses.
I don't want to sound alarmist. It can happen, though.
IANAV - it could be something else entirely.

~kaeli~
Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace