Old July 12th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
fredsheck

Default saying goodbye

my kitty, ebony, is 25 years old. no lie. he was my cat when i was in high
school. I graduated in 1983, and left for college. he was loved and cared
for (obviously well) my my parents for the next two decades. my mom passed
in 2001, and when my dad died last september, he became my cat again.

anyway, it is pretty clear that he is dying now. he's had "spells" of
extreme lethargy/weakness would become bedridden for a few days every few
months, but each time he would wake up as if from a nice long nap and say,
"where's my breakfast?" well, he's been real sick now since saturday. i
took him in to the vet on sat. afternoon. i was told what i basically
already knew--that he was super sick (maybe advanced thyroid or maybe kidney
disease), blood/urine tests and subcutaneas fluids were suggested sort of as
an aside, but that he might die in the next room or maybe not, but he
probably wouldn't bounce back this time. of couse i was advised to have him
euthenized. i was not prepared to make that decision right then, so i took
him home.

he has been peaceful, it seems, since then. He responds, minimally, to
petting and being spoken to. He has meowed quietly just a few times, but
not crying or moaning. he is peaceful still, but just a flicker of life
remains. i have to go to work again now. please please tell me that this
is ok. he is in his bed in his home. he is not eating or drinking. I
sense that he is dying, that he is peaceful and not suffering much, if any.
in another thread in this group, "toni" said:

.. . .take her home, watch her, and look deeply into her eyes when you talk
to her. She will tell you when she is ready to go.

A calm humane death (at home IMO) is the last great gift you will ever be
able to give her . . .

this feels calm, and i hope it is humane. but it is really tearing me up. i
know others out there have been there. thanks for your thoughts and
prayers.