Old December 7th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Default How to keep cats safe with fireplace??

outsider wrote:

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in

loor a respectable distance (like 7 feet) away.

I doubt if either cat would get too close to the flames, but I just
feel safer this way. For one thing, it avoids any possibility of
getting singed if they were to roll or flick their tails too close.
I'm a bit paranoid about their safety, so I take all the precautions I
can.

MaryL

Many many years ago all white T.C. would lay in front of my kerosene heater
for hours. She would lay only a few feet away. Her fur was so hot I
worried she would spontaneously combust.

According to a documentary I once saw, cats have remarkable tolerance
for heat. Video showed one snoozing comfortably next to a blacksmith's
forge at a distance that would have toasted you or me.