Old July 7th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Tom Cat won't breed with in-season queen!??

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Mon 07 Jul 2008 04:00:55p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

Which pedigree charactersitics are so beneficial to the cat
population that they should be perpetuated?

Sorry for snipping all the rest, including the OP but still have
computer problems. lol

Great post. Not to mention the health risks to queen including
pyometra and mammary cancer.

Another another thing, don't "reputable" breeders have resources
other than a newsgroup to ask these questions? The same old MO. They
ask a question and then when challenged they post the "missing" info
to make themselves feel better. pfft.

--
Cheryl

What breeders - both legitimate and backyard - don't seem to get is the
extrapolation from the data I posted. The breeds with the most / worst
defects are the "older" breeds like the Persian and Siamese - the ones who
have been bred the longest. Ergo, the more you breed for specific traits
(inbreeding if truth be told), the worse you make it the breed - and the
more tragic the consequences for the cat.

Another thing that drives me crazy is when breeders say, "Well my clients
don't want a moggie, they will only buy a pure-bred". Well, how wonderful
would it be if the people who only want pure-bred status symbols won't have
a cat to abuse or throw away if it goes out of "style", and only people who
truly love cats and want to add a member to their families are the only ones
who *get* cats!

*SIGH* I'm preaching to the choir, I know!

Hugs,

CatNipped