Old April 4th 12, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

Default Update On Caboodle Ranch Cats

On Apr 3, 8:17*am, dgk wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 03:08:13 -0700 (PDT), Catlady

wrote:
On Mar 24, 7:51*pm, "MaryL" wrote:
"Christina Websell" *wrote in message

We have numerous coyotes in this area, even in town (especially wooded
areas). *They often attack and kill household pets. *In rural areas, they
will kill small farm animals such as lambs and calves. *They are very agile
and speedy, so cats and dogs are often easy prey.http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...ammals/coyote/

MaryL

A recent article that underlines the danger cats at CR faced and
should have people that allow their cats to roam freely considering a
safer option:http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandrepor...es/120329.html

Ah yes, a bird group that is strongly against TNR comes up with
coyotes as a reason to stop doing TNR. Kill all the cats because
otherwise some may die from coyotes. Very good reasoning indeed.

So, here in NYC where TNR is becoming a city approved humane method of
dealing with the feral cats that are in every neighborhood, we should
kill them all instead because somewhere in Central Park there is a
coyote.

I feed (and have TNRd) the local street cats, and let my cats into my
fenced in backyard. Yes, sometimes they kill a bird, but that is more
than offset by my feeding birds all winter and providing a no-freeze
birdbath.

Sure it would be better if all cats had a home but that isn't
reasonable. TNR is the humane solution.

I don't agree with their stance on TNR either and didn't think to cut
and paste just the statistics. I don't have a problem with the first
couple of paragraphs, but I do think you are correct in your
assessment of how they use the statistics to promote their own agenda.
I am all for TNR and have done it as well. It does bother me that some
cats that are released will fall prey to coyotes, etc.,but if you do
nothing, there will be a lot more cats for coyotes to kill. It's
interesting that they want to skew TNR but that is exactly what keeps
the population down and results in less birds being killed. Their
stance doesn't make sense.