Old October 31st 05, 08:52 AM
-L.

Default Do It Yourself Vet Practices for Strays.

Phil P. wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Front-right shoulder - FVRCP (subQ)
Right-rear leg - rabies (IM)
Front-left shoulder FeLV (subQ)

Please don't encourage people- especially that idiot t

I don't consider Barry an idiot. I like Barry, despite his goofiness
and mistakes (Yes, even Ruprecht). A lot of what he posts is just
banter.

o vaccinate cats
himself- he'll probably hit a nerve and paralyze the poor cat. The thought
of him sticking a needle in a cat- or even being near s cat- scares the
hell out me.

Any cat can develop an adverse effect- or even full blown anaphylatic shock-
from *any* vaccine.

Full-blown anaphylaxis from vaccines is rare, though.

So, unless a person has been trained in treating
adverse reactions and anaphylaxis they should not be administering
vaccines.

A stray or feral vaccinated is better than not, IMO. You have to weigh
the pros and cons of doing it vs. not doing it - and IMO that's a
personal choice. I just wanted him to know that if he chose to do
so, he had to know what he was doing because he could cause damage.

Btw, FeLV should be administered in the left *rear leg* as distally as
possible- not in the shoulder.

(See AAFP Vaccination Guidlines)
http://www.maxshouse.com/aafp_vaccin...recommenda.htm

Correct - I remembered it wrong. Haven't done vaccines for awhile.
Prolly should have double checked before I posted that. Sorry.

-L.