Old September 5th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Pet Smart kittens & cats?

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..
You're story about Holly doesn't surprise me in the least. I've gotten
over being surprised by what some people will do.

You're Duffy is an inspiration as is the story of your introducing them.
You don't know how many people have heard their story. Duffy always comes
up when we are doing an adoption of a cat/kitten with vision problems.
This last summer we adopted out a kitten with cataracts and another with
glaucoma. Both of those adoptive parents heard how well Duffy has adapted.

Our rescue group is really lucky in that we have a feline ophthalmologist
who works with us gratis. He built eyelids for one kitty and consulted on
the other two that I already mentioned. It helps to have an expert discuss
the cat's long term prognosis.

The last word I got was that all of these cats were doing really well in
their adoptive homes and their people just rave on about how sweet they
are.

Wendy

Thanks, Wendy. You made my day -- or maybe my week! It's always nice to
hear that our experiences have made a difference for others. Duffy was a
"poster cat" for a news article in our local newspaper some time ago. Just
as you described, we tried to use Duffy as encouragement for others to adopt
blind or visually impaired kitties.

You are really fortunate to have a feline ophthalmologist who will offer
services to your rescue group without charge. That is a specialty that is
in very short supply, so that makes his services doubly valuable.

MaryL