Old August 10th 10, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default PING Jill: butternut squash question

Or, unless you want and eat a lot of veggies, you can buy already cut up,
most veggies these days. Someone said they cost so much more. We looked in
her fridge and she had,
half a head of lettuce turning brown,
half bag of carrots that were, for lack of a better word, getting slick.
A half onion gone bad.
Assortment of other things that would be thrown out.
"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Marina typed:
Yowie wrote:

According to the late night advertisements, what you need is a mouli
:-)

I had to google that. OMG, they still make those things? I remember
them from my childhood home. More to wash up, not much help in the
kitchen, as I remember it. In the time you need to set the thing up plus
the
time to take it apart and wash it, you'd have cut the veggies several
times over.

I reckon everyone has had one at one time or another, having been
convinced by some late night advertisement (or equivalent) that such a
device, much like all others advertised on late night TV, is the answer to
all their problems.

After the initial "cool new toy" novelty wears off, one starts to realise
that unless there is a *huge* amount of chopping/slicing/grating to be
done, a knife is easier and quicker overall to use than a mouli because
the setup/cleanup time for a mouli is far more than that of a knife. Which
is not to say that moulis aren't fun, but aren't really worth the money
most of the time.

The geek in me wants an equation.

Amount of vegetables to process = x
Rate of vegetable processing for mouli = M
Rate of Vegetable processing for knife = K (where K is less than M)
Setup/packup for Mouli = m
Setup/packup time for knife = neglible

x needs to get larger as K approaches M to keep Mx+m Kx true. In other
words, the closer the speed of the mouli is to someone's knife skills, the
more vegetables thneed to be cut to make the mouli worthwhile.

(I blame it on too much coffee)

Yowie

But I'll admit I find cutting veggies therapeutic. If only Caliban
would keep his nose out of the way.