Old August 17th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

Default Help needed: Cat keeps vomiting, won't eat, lost much weight

Yes, it could be hairballs but.............. maybe not........
You can't always see everything a cat could possibly swallow on xrays,
depending on the material. Maybe one more consultation with a vet with lots
of feline experience.
Back in the early 80's, I had a gorgeous inquisitive male orange kitten who
suddenly threw up on a Friday night, went into hiding & stopped eating &
drinking. I knew he was in trouble & confined him in a small room throughout
the weekend, giving him fluids subcutaneously every couple hours - why,
because I'd had a terrible & expensive experience at the emergency vet clinic
with another cat. First thing Monday morning the kitten & I went to our
regular vet, an old-timer with lots of clinical experience. He was sure the
cat had ingested something, xrayed the cat & called me to tell me the xray
looked normal & showed nothing. However, he told me based on his exam, he was
still certain there was a physical blockage & asked for permission to operate
which I agreed to. He called me later to tell me he couldn't believe what
he'd pulled out of Ginger's bowel - a thick 1" section of heavy latex rubber
tubing & could I explain this & yes I could. We knew the tubing had been
bitten through a couple days earlier from our large seawater aquarium, but
didn't realize part of the tubing was missing. Ginger recovered nicely &
lived (& chewed things) for another 16 years, finally dying of CRF.
Best of luck!
M.

wrote:
A buddy of mine has a 9-year-old cat that had recently coughed up a
really nasty hairball, and ever since then has neither eaten nor drunk
water. Whenever she tries to eat, it all comes vomiting back up.

She's been taken to both the usual vet and a veterinary hospital. Both
are at a loss...nothing showed on X-Rays and the bloodwork came out ok,
though there was a very slight drop in white blood cell count.

Anyone experienced anything like this The cat has lost more than three
pounds after six days of not eating on its own and she's getting
increasingly weak.

One person I spoke with had a similar situation with her cat...it ended
up that the cat had swallowed one of those sticky clothing tags that
they stick on new shirts. Wouldn't something like that show up on
X-ray?

The cat will approach the water/food dish, look up at its owner and
walk away as though to say, "I really want to eat, but it just hurts
too much!"

Any other ideas would be appreciated.