Old May 28th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.suicide.holiday
Sweetness

Default Best way to force feed a kitten?

Netmask wrote:
Sweetness wrote:
My 10 week old tabby kitten won't eat, so I guess I'm gonna hafta
force feed it to keep it from starving. What's the easiest way to do
that?

If a cat or kitten won't eat or drink for more than two days then it is
time to find out why - force feeding will not solve the problem.

Oh yes it will.

As a
temporary measure until you get professional advice you could try
Science Diet type A/D (used for dogs and cats).
http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/pro...5244417 60567

It is rich in smelly fats and nutrients but can only be used for a short
time, like a couple of weeks until the underlying cause has been
diagnosed. It can be diluted with water and placed in an animal wide
bore syringe - this can be gently inserted towards the back of the mouth
towards the back of the tongue. Don't overload the amount or the kitten
will become frightened and conditioned to the event and will associate
fear with eating making the condition worse and more difficult for you.

Meh, it would be easier to slather a soft slender tube with lube and
push it down the kitty's throat and then pour a slurry down. The only
"hard" part would be restraining the scratchy little devil, but I guess
that's one thing that towels and duct tape are for.

BTW you should get off your moral high ground and not chastise someone
who gave you good advice - it is sooooo 19th Century and rude

So far I *haven't* chastised anyone who gave good advice. But I did
have to reprimand an extremely rude person who tried to heap abuse on
me. (And I see they're still at it. Guess it's time to report them to
their ISP.)

--
What would Fred Hall say ?