Old April 10th 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane B

Default Dry food addict. Refuses anything else

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:26:36 PM UTC-4, buglady wrote:
On 4/8/2014 11:03 AM, Jane B wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, Buglady. Except for the raw food, I have tried the other tricks.

They don't work.

........maybe rotate tricks and keep trying? I know all about stubborn

cats! The pet food store used to have freeze dried liver bits that I

would crumble to powder over food to increase appetite. You didn't need

much and it was aromatic.

As for the raw, I'll try it but I doubt it will work. She has no

interest in "people" food, even fish.

.........You never know......warm aromatic seared chicken may be

delectable. You could get some deli turkey and see if she likes that.

Think positive. Put the food down and walk away. Pick it up after half

an hour.

What about the tuna? I'm guessing feeding her tuna too often is not a good idea.

...........Personally I stay away from a lot of the canned fishy cat

foods. It's as addictive as kibble, which appears to be the issue. And

not believing that they put the "best" in cat foods, who knows how much

mercury is in that tuna.

As I said, it's the only canned cat food she's willing to eat - and

not much of that.

...........If she eats it, use it. Only dole out 1 tbsp at a time. If

she's eating even 2 tbsps a day that's enough to keep her going so hang

tough for a couple of days. Pick up the kibble so there's no choice in

the matter.

.........A friend of mine said his cat had no interest in canned food,

but now that's all she'll eat. Don't know what happened. I think it's

not having the kibble dish on the floor all the time, which isn't a

great way to feed anyway, because you never know how much they're

eating. I feed twice a day, then a tiny snack at noon and bed time.

Setting up feeding times can help appetite issues. If there's food

available all the time, they're never really that hungry.

buglady

take out the dog before replying

Thanks again Buglady. I'll try your suggestions, and thanks for replying to John Doe.