Old April 11th 14, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Dry food addict. Refuses anything else

Mack A. Damia mybaconbutty hotmail.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:
Mack A. Damia mybaconbutty hotmail.com wrote:

they both love the Fancy Feast wet food...they have not been
touching the dry food so much and just eating the wet

That's because of how you have fed them.

Nothing wrong with wet food. Whenever I need to give them
medicine, I use Fancy Feast wet. Doing that today. But I know it
causes tooth rot, just like sweet food does to our teeth (some
of you might not notice). So I followed their (medicated) Fancy
Feast with some Purina Veterinary Diet Dental Health DH. If I
were feeding wet food, I would follow each meal with a small
amount of that DH dry food.

The Purina DH is very expensive, but probably cheaper than the
same amount of small packaged treats meant to control tartar
buildup. And the DH is probably healthier than the small
packaged dental health treats.

I guess you know that they do not like change,

That is for sure. It's the smell and the taste. You have to
introduce it gradually.

and I am too soft with them. The younger of the two seems to
eat anything, but the older is very fussy. I would feel guilty
changing their diets. They are both still young cats - 3-1/2
and 2-1/2, so I do wonder about health problems as they age. I
live in Mexico, and there seems to be a vet on every corner.
The stores do not have much variety of food, and I mentioned
about the Mexican-canned Fancy Feast. I stock up with several
months-worth of food when I go to California.

Can you buy food online? I guess not. You have probably thought of
this already, but... You might be able to order some stuff online
and have it sent to the California address. Might have credit card
address verification problems with that. I'm sure you can track
orders online, so you will know exactly when it gets there.

Good luck.

Thanks. I will check out your suggestions the next time I cross
the border.