Old May 12th 05, 02:58 PM
Karen

"Wendy" wrote in message

"Shannon" wrote in message

"animzmirot" wrote in message
My 8 year old male cat was blocked when I woke up this morning. A trip

the emergency vet later, we got an estimate of between $1250 and $1650

unblock him (with anesthesia), catheterize him, 2 overnights in the
hospital, antibiotics, and an analysis of his urine to determine what

kind
of blockage it was. That seems to be VERY high but then again, it's

our
kitty, so I forked over a $600 deposit to get things started.

What would your vet charge for similar circumstances and where do you

live?

A few months ago, my cat had blockage and ended up with a ruptured

bladder.
For anesthesia, cath, antibiotics, surgery, and 3 days at the vet, it

cost
me around $500.

That was your regular vet who did the work? Take them to the emergency vet
and you might as well turn over your children's inheritance.

But mine was to an emergency vet and it was only about 300 plus the "75
dollar emergency appt. fee" (ridiculous). Grant was not totally blocked, but
they had to catheterize him and keep him overnight. I guess I have a new
"ridiculous-o-meter" to judge local vet rates by.