Old January 3rd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Bubbles flew the coop!

Our latest household addition, Bubbles, seems to prefer rejoining the great
outdoors. Bubbles is about 8 months old and was one of 4 kittens born to a
semi-feral mom under our home. As the months went by, he more than the
others seemed interested in what went on in the house. Bubbles would often
sit on our top step and peer in the through the storm door watching with
interest what was going on. Of course my 4 indoor cats would venture to the
door, often going nose to nose with him through the glass.

A few months ago Bubbles decided he wanted to try life inside. His aloof,
semi-spooked outdoor demeanor quickly gave way to a very charming little
attention driven creature who loved to sit on laps, lick fingers, nuzzle
chins, and sleep with whoever was willing to have him. I told my wife to get
him neutered in December before we started having spraying problems with
him. For whatever reason she hadn't gotten to it yet. Over the past 2 weeks
Bubbles would be seen testing his dominance against my two neutered toms,
Spot and Nacho. Spot has been king of the hill and surprisingly was rather
tolerant of the kitten's displays. Bubbles also started strolling around the
house calling loudly at various early morning hours. I reiterated to the
wife the need to get him neutered - *now*.

When his brother or sister would perch on the step he would show little
interest in them. Once his brother Spook actually came inside and Bubbles
ran him off with hissing and growling. He seemed to have little interest in
being around them and certainly objected to them coming inside

Yesterday our weather was warmer than it had been for a few weeks. Bubbles
slipped past my wife and headed outside-something he has had no interest in
since being indoors. She quickly coaxed him back in. A short while later he
got out again slipping past my son. He came back by a few times yesterday
evening and sat looking in the door like he always did when he was a full
time outdoor animal.

Opening the door to invite him in only caused him to move just out of range.
At this point 24 hours later he seems to have rejoined the pack outside. He
showed up at daylight today with the others for morning chow. My morning
herd usually runs from 3 to 6 or 7 cats. He took a few quick bites and
scampered off out of range when I called him. I guess he has a preference
for the outdoors. Since I can't have him freely traveling back and forth due
to fleas it would seem his adventure has cast him back among his siblings.

Have any of you ever had a cat that adapted so well to indoor life but
suddenly chucked it all to be among old friends outside? Our worst winter
weather is yet to come and I wonder if he'll change his mind once the
serious 0 degree temps hit.