Old February 2nd 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default I know it's about cats...

On Feb 2, 1:11 pm, "22brix" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

...but my beautiful rotty is in trouble now. I just had to tell
somebody about it, and I don't find the dog groups very friendly at
all. He's 12-1/2 years old now. He started having heart troubles two
years ago. He's been on enalapril for that. Now he's started leaking
urine at night. We gave him medicine for that, and it worked. But
once he got off the medicine, he started leaking again. This morning,
he threw up all his breakfast.

I took him to the vet, and they did a blood test and an X-ray of his
abdomen. There is a mass in his abdomen, and the vet doesn't know
what it is for sure. He doesn't want to do an exploratory on my boy
at his age. We've put him on the anti-leaking medicine again, and
then something for the tummy troubles, and we're continuing the heart
medicine. His heart is worse now. The blood test shows liver
problems now, too.

I will keep him as comfortable as I can. He is still bright and alert
-- interested and engaged. He's being so brave to try not to scare
me, I'm sure. I will not let him suffer, but I'm also not ready for
this at all. I guess we never are ready. He's been my companion, my
bodyguard, my light for so long. I don't know what I'll do when I
lose him. I think we're on borrowed time now.

Just needed to say....

Eva

Eva,

I am so sorry that you and your rottweiler are going through this--I really
feel for you. I'm not quite there yet but will be dealing with similar
issues with my ancient dog soon as well as a cat with CRF. I know I'm not
ready. Cherish the time you have left with him, enjoy him, spoil him! Take
care of yourself, too.

My thoughts are with you, Bonnie

PS A lot of us like dogs, too!
PSS What's his name? Do you have any pictures of him?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your kind words. Only animal people know what this is
like. His name is Streak. I have some beautiful pictures of him,
especially my favorite from when he was about 2 years old. He has a
tiny little kitten sitting on his leg, and it's the cutest thing I've
ever seen. Don't know where/how to show you how beautiful he is, tho.

His picture is on Flippy's page if you know where that is.

He got his name when I was trying to decide which puppy was my little
soul mate. I went over every day to see the puppies. Every time I
went over there, the puppy with the little streak of white on his
chest would crawl into my lap, sigh, and go to sleep. The other
puppies would wiggle, squirm, complain -- but not my streak. He knew
he was mine from the very first moment.

Eva