Old June 20th 05, 02:49 PM

John Doe wrote:
wrote:

With the risk of starting a war, I had not heard of declawing
until I came on this site, we do not do this, as far as I know,
in the UK. Also, we rarely keep our cats inside.

Hopefully you at least have them fixed and vaccinated.

It sounds barbaric to me, to pull the claws out of a cat, it
would be like having your fingernails pulled out!

More like having your fingers pulled off. I am not a bleeding
heart, my opinion comes from learning about the creatures. With
enough observation, you can see that cats use their claws like we
use our fingers. Cats need claws for many things.

... hunting

... self defense -- climbing

... exercise -- climbing

... play

They exercise their whole upper body with the help of their claws.

Also, clipping an aggressor's claws can help manage multiple cats.
If they don't have claws, they can still bite.

Then what would the torturer do, pull their teeth out?????

I just read that link that Phil gave to declawing, and it made me
feel physically sick just reading it. It is just plain cruelty. Cant
something be done to stop it?

Good luck.