Old March 23rd 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joelberg

Default My cat stopped burying his waste in the litter box...PLEASE HELP!!

I have an 8 year old cat who recently got treated for a urinary tract
infection. He was at the vet for a week and ever since I brought him
home, he has all of a sudden stopped burying his pee/poo and tracks it
EVERYWHERE!!!!

I can't tell you how much this f***ing ****es me off, as well as how
disgusting it is and the time required to clean it. One time his ****
missed the litter box, and got smeared on the wall nearby. I almost
strangled my cat then and there. But anyways...

I orginally had a regular cat pan without a cover before his UTI
happened. Since the UTI started, he would hardly pee and poo, so I
understood why he didn't cover it (he was in pain). Ever since I
brought him home, he has continued this nonsense. I asked the vet what
to do and they don't have a clue. Does my cat feel traumatized by the
whole event and did he pick up a bad habit as a result?

I tried fixing this by buying an enclosed cat pan with a door flap.
He hates it, so I removed it. I also put newspaper outside the door
to catch flecks of litter that fly out of t he hole.

However....

HE STILL MAKES A MESS. He still won't bury his waste and tracks it
everywhere. About an hour ago, he somehow ended up peeing OUTSIDE the
litter box opening, onto the tile. I'm running out of patience. I love
my cat to death (he's the only one out of 3 who goes indoors), but I
don't know what else to do.

Please help,
-Joel