Old October 9th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Default Ping Phil All the cats in the house are sick

John Ross Mc Master wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 08:19:48 -0600, MLB wrote:

John Ross Mc Master wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 23:12:13 -0600, MLB wrote:

John Ross Mc Master wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 20:12:29 -0600, MLB wrote:

John Ross Mc Master wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 02:27:41 -0700, cl wrote:

John Ross Mc Master wrote:
They have been to a vet and he's running blood and stool tests.
The vet doesn't have a clue yet. I get the blood results today and the
stool tests in 5 days. I'm posting here to discover if anyone else has
had the problem. I am syringing chicken broth down their thoats all
the time as well as antibiotics and a high calorie vitamin mix

Here is the problem in detail.

Five healthy cats ranging in age from 10 months to 11 years
simultaneously stopped eating and drinking. They are indoor cats up to
date with their shots. They were not poisoned, did not ingest a toxin
of any kind. This has to be a bacteria, protazoa or virus.

Anyone have an idea?
If you have a dishwasher all of their food and water bowls should be
washed in it immediately and done regularly until this goes away. If you
do not have a dishwaster you should use paper food and water bowls in
the mean time. Also the contents of their litter boxes should be dumped
and replaced now - one cat might have infected the others. Did you just
change or just start using a new brand or bag of food? I presume that
they all eat different food since they are different ages? Or do they
all eat the same food? Is it canned food, dry or both? It sounds like
some widespread contaminated has occurred. Have you cleaned a floor,
mopped, or used a different cleaning product lately? Something has
caused this since all fives cats have stopped eating at the same time.
It really sounds like poisoning.
The blood test is in and the only problem is "Moderately toxic
neutrophyls with no neutrophilia suggests acute tissue demand for
neutrophils". which indicates some kind of infection. I could have
unknowingly tracked in a bacteria, but how do all the cats get sick at
once?
The big question right now is how are they doing?
I do not have any idea how that could happen and it is very strange that
they all got sick at the same time. I would think it would have to be
airborne or fed the same thing. Purrs for you and the cats that the
mystery can be solved. Best wishes. MLB
Airborne is possible. We have tomcats in the neighborhood outside. But
at no time were they ever fed the same thing.
I know you dismissed the possibility of carbon monoxide, but it might be
a good idea to have your heating/ventilation system checked. Do you
remember hearing the old stories of "canaries in the coal mine"?
Removing the cats to another environment would have cleared it from
their bodies. And yes -- how are they doing? MLB
They seem to mbe getting a bit better. The youngest first. The three
youngest all had bowel movements, one normal.

The two oldest ones are not doing well. Off to vet #2 in 25 minutes.

Matthew's point about looking outside8de made me wonder if it were
possible one of those trucks that are used by carpet cleaners could have
been working near where the fumes could seep into the house?
I remember one time where I worked, trucks would sometimes park in the
back alley and leave their engines running. The exhaust fumes would
then get into the ventilation system and come into our building . We
were on the 4th floor and fumes do rise. Trucks in the alley were
eventually not permitted in the alley.

Sending purrs that all kitties will recover and that you can figure this
out == it must be hard on you. Best wishes. MLB

About the time this started there were pavers repang 2 nearby
driveways but that would not account for the bacteria.

The vet gave me antibiotics in pill form that Percy won't vomit out.
He hates the liquid.

Do you know if they had a cement mixer running or a truck idling nearby?
(just trying to cover all possibilities). Perhaps you could mix a
little syrup with the liquid meds to improve the taste. Just in case
the pill doesn't work either.)

Remembering that years ago a man in our condo was working on his car in
the carport. He had left the car running and the resulting fumes made
him sick? (I have a "thing" about fumes, as you can tell -- long, dull
story). MLB