Old November 29th 05, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat w/severe behavioral problems

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi-

I'm new here and I know this is a highly emotional subject, and I
apologize, but my cat, Nutterbutter, has undergone a severe personality
change within the last few months.

He's 14 years old, and though he's been a relatively loving cat over
the years, as of late he has become _very_ aggressive toward others,
hissing and refusing to be petted. His appetite has remained the same,
and there don't appear to be any other physical problems.

I am very worried.

The personality change is so severe, I'm seriously thinking he may have
a brain tumour.

I think feline cognitive dysfunction is a more likely possibility. Does he
ever appear to be disoriented or wander around the house aimlessly? Does he
vocalize more than before? Using the litterbox normally?

His aggressiveness may also be a result of pain or discomfort caused by an
undiagnosed internal disease or musculoskeletal problem. The first order of
business is a thorough physical exam including a full blood and urine
work-up (biochemistry, CBC, urinalysis) and possibly x-rays of his
hindquarters.

I am very concerned, and as our home enviornment has
remained steady, I cannot understand why he is behaving this way.

I am afraid he will harm one of our children.

Advise your children of his condition and tell them to be cautious and not
to antagonize, overstimulate, or try to restrain or hold him. He may have
undiagnosed pain which can make him very irritable and overly sensitive to
handling.

I am going to take him to the vet today, but I am so worried they will
tell me has to be put down.

A cat should *never* be killed unless he is suffering. He may just need
medication and/or environmental enrichment- and most of all, patience and
understanding. He may still be kitten in your eyes, but he's actually
emotionally and physically a senior "citizen".

My heart would be broken.

Any else have a problem like this?

Actually, this problem is not uncommon in older cats. Its very important
for you to remain calm. Cats have emotional radar and can become easily
stressed if they detect stress in you.

Best of luck,

Phil