Old June 3rd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] fridge life of cooked mushrooms?

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

Another thing that will keep longer if you don't keep it tightly sealed
is
lettuce. I buy the prepared salads that come in bags. If I seal the
bag,
it gets slimy in two or three days. If I leave the bag open, it will
keep
for as much as a week.

I just learned this lesson with fresh basil leaves. They were in a
semi-hard plastic box that had holes in it, and were fine. Then I
transferred them to a ziploc bag to make a little more room in the
veggie crisper, and they got all slimy in a day!

Joyce

The holes allow the moisture to escape. You can buy plastic bags with holes
in them that are designed specifically for storing produce.
Another way is to use paper bags. The paper absorb the moisture. But my
problem is I forget about them as, unlike plastic bags, you can't see
through
them.

Winnie