Old March 22nd 17, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette[_4_]

Default How I Became An Ailurophile Without Really Trying (Ch. 1)

jmcquown wrote:

On 3/20/2017 8:42 PM, Bastette wrote:

Now I'm actually losing some hearing. Nothing major, but I have lost a
bit of the highest frequencies of sound. This just makes the other problem
worse. So now, I have the closed captions on all the time. This helps me
hear the dialogue better because I see the caption before the person
speaks, so I already know what they're going to say. Only time that sucks
is when watching comedy - it totally ruins the whole comic-timing thing.

I'm glad the closed-caption option is there!

Yeah, no kidding! It seems to be the standard now, and even old tv shows
have been "retrofitted" with captions. But once in a while I'll rent a DVD
that doesn't have them. It's a bummer especially if I was planning to watch
it while exercising. I have a treadmill (noisy) and a fan (noisy), and my
own hearing issues - so there's no way I can watch a show without captions
if I'm exercising.

I was nine/ten years old at the time and didn't have the patience for
the subtitles. Besides, it wasn't "American" television so I didn't
know any of the shows... except for 'Dark Shadows'. I remember watching
a few episodes because it was familiar. But at that age it was more fun
to play outside.

I understand that! That was true for me, too. I usually watched TV in the
evening after supper.

Joyce
--
I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman