Old November 25th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Declawing A Cat

you can tell a person's real face by how they treat their pets
"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I know this is a topic that keeps popping up over and over again but it
just goes to you that even during the holidays people still think about
declawing their cats. Tonight at Thanksgiving dinner I was shocked to learn
that a couple of guests (they are a married couple) who I had known for
years actually have their cats declawed because they don't like their
furniture being scratched up. When I started on the don't declaw cat side,
one of them said they didn't want to get into this discussion.
I have discovered that those who have no problem with declawing a cat
never want to discuss it.
I pretty much had to hold it in so Thanksgiving dinner wouldn't be ruined
for everyone but I am amazed how people you think you know, you really
don't know. It seems that those who declaw cats really don't want to know
about the facts that state declawing is wrong and how it hurts the cat.

This seems to be why we have such wars on here about declawing. I would
never declaw a cat because furniture can be replaced and if you take
simple steps like teaching them to use a scratching post (and praising
them for doing so) as well clipping their claws and giving a firm NO (or
squirting them with water) when scratching in areas that declawing would
not be needed. I think those who declaw don't want to know the truth or
simply can't handle it. I am proud of being on the side that doesn't
declaw. Cats don't deserve such punishment. They are beautiful and
wonderful creatures and should not be harmed. Those who declaw, let's face
it are comitting animal cruelty and don't even realize it because in their
mind it isn't wrong. When will these people learn? Declawing is wrong no
matter how you slice it. Declawing a cat also results in behavioral
problems with the animal and they also have health problems as well. A
declawed cat also loses one of their main defensive mechanisms should they
ever get outside.

Many animal rescue groups often speak out against declawing but it seems
many don't listen. I have yet to meet that one human believes in declawing
but that is willing to go through the procedure themselves (or one
similar). I doubt I ever will. I think those who declaw cats are nothing
but cowards. It is easy to hide behind ignorance when putting their cat
through the procedure but have they ever asked their cats if it is ok? How
would humans feel if cats just scheduled an appointment for them to have
important body parts removed so their home or furniture wouldn't be
ruined? I doubt a human would find that cool. So, for those considering
declawing, read the facts. There are so many non-harmful treatments you
can try to curb bad behavior and best of all it'd be cheaper. Enough said.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com