Old March 14th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default -OT- Cheap clock

MaryL wrote:

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com
wrote in message ...
---MIKE--- wrote:
I bought an inexpensive clock last winter at Wal-mart. It was made in
China and only cost about $12. When I plugged it in it went right to
the correct time. In March it automatically reset to DST and in the
fall it went back to EST. This morning it reset to DST again. It is
NOT an atomic clock so I don't understand how it does this. A real
bargain!

I would hope it isn't an atomic clock - that would cost many thousands
of dollars, not twelve! What you may have, however, is a radio
controlled clock, which synchronises with your region's tme standard.
In the UK, that's known as "MSF", and broadcasts on a frequency of 60MHz.

--
MatSav

In the U.S., self-setting clocks are sold under the title of "atomic
clocks." They range in price, but many are inexpensive. I have had one
for several years, and it does always reset on the correct US date. If
I remember correctly, I paid about $20.00 for mine. Obviously, they do
not use nuclear energy, and the term "atomic" clock is a misnomer. Here
are some examples:
http://tinyurl.com/yzyv9vo
-or-the full URL:
http://www.google.com/products?q=wha...ed=0CC4QrQQwAg

MaryL

Way back when I worked, I set 3 alarm clocks each night: One was a
radio alarm, one was a windup and one just showed the time. The last
one is still running and it is over 40 years old. MLB