Old May 9th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Feline Diabetes

Rose,

It only takes one hand on the cat to give a shot. You gently pull up the
scruff and quickly stick it in. Many do this while the cat is eating and
the cats don't seem to notice.

Please post your question on the message board at
www.felinediabetes.com. There are so many people there with tons of
experience. They have lived through about every diabetic cat situation.

She will get used to the shots. The needles are very tiny. I think they
bother the humans more than the cats! I had to overcome the fear of
needles and the fear that I was hurting Bob (our cat) to be able to give
him shots.

Maybe if you plan a treat at the same time, your cat will equate it with
the good experience of a snack. You have to watch what you feed a
diabetic cat, but maybe a bit of a special food.

Good luck, and please post on that board too. They are incredibly
supportive.

Rhonda

rose ricciuto wrote:

Our 2nd oldest cat (7 yr) was just diagnosed with diabetes. Our problem
is she is a feral rescue and only allows 1 hand on at a time. We have to
hospitalize her for antibiotics for bladder infections. There is no
way we can administer insulin 2ce a day without caging her permanently
and making her life a living hell of constant fear. Although she's been
with us for almost 6 yrs, no one has ever seen her but us. We're now
faced with considering euthanasia and the prospect is not a happy one.
Any help would be appreciated or maybe just consolation!