Old July 19th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default lonely for a companion

On Jul 19, 12:42 am, "mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote:
wrote:
Greetings. I'm new here, so go easy on me should I inadvertently side-
step any etiquette. My situation is this:

Jimmie, my 1-2 year-old (don't know precisely as she was a stray)
female calico, seems very lonely and restless. She requires attention
*constantly* -- all day, all night, every day, every night. She cries
relentlessly unless she's being doted upon. I try my best, but one
can only give so much. This has been going on since the day I took
her in, about seven months ago. She has regular vet visits so I know
health is not the issue. I can't write it off to her being a kitten,
because she's really not; she has her adult teeth and has actually
been through a partial pregnancy and subsequent spaying already at
such a tender age. I think a companion might help because the only
time she seems satisfied without me is when she's frolicking in the
yard with the neighbour's cat (an adult male). However, she is *very*
territorial and agressive with any other cats that are foolish enough
to tred on her turf. So my question would be what kind of cat makes a
good companion for young, agressive females? Breed? Sex? Age? I
know every cat is different, but there must be some sort of
generalized behavior pattern and pairing recommendation, no?

Perhaps a calm, confident easy-going friendly male kitten. My first cat
Whiskey was a young tortoishell female -age probably 8 months to 1 year or so
when I got her. She was semi-feral & had been very badly treated, beaten &
almost drowned by rotten neighborhood bullies. So she was extremely
aggressive & noisy inside. I had her spayed & decided she needed a companion
& brought home a tiny white part Maine Coon male kitten Tommy. She took to
him as a mommy cat & they were inseparable from 1970 thru 1985 when he died
of kidney failure. He loved people, was easy-going, passive & extremely
friendly, I think the typical Maine Coon personality, while the tortoishell
scared almost everyone who came near her - she never completely lost her
wildness & always hissed, spit, puffed herself up & made a racket when anyone
other than myself & 2 of my boys (born after her arrival) approached her. To
those of us she accepted, she was very loving. Here's a link to a picture of
Tommy http://pets.webshots.com/photo/26088...50028271ZMvdoj
& another to Whiskeyhttp://pets.webshots.com/photo/2059908280050028271BscXyB
Definitely get another cat for her & introduce them carefully.
M.

M,
The relationship you describe is what I'm hoping for. Your Whisky
looks exactly like my Jimmie, though perhaps a bit more tempermental
in nature (to outsiders, anyway). In fact, I know of two other
rescued female calicos/tortoiseshells who have similarly 'touchy'
demeanors. Wonder if it's something specific to that breed or has
more to do with an unstable background. Thanks for the reply.