Old October 28th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

Default [OT] Need Opinions / Help

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
No cluons were harmed when "CatNipped" wrote:
Just because I couldn't pass the MCAD/MCSD certification
exams (even though I do all the work assigned to me 3
times faster than any other employee), my boss
kept pressuring me, hinting around that my job was in jeopardy
if I didn't take the tests and pass them. I finally had enough
and told the operations manager than I wasn't going to waste
my own money on taking 5, $250 tests, that I knew I would
fail (you only get reimbursed if you pass all five of the tests and
get the certification). The
operations manager told my boss and my boss told me he'd
"let" me "stay with the company" but my duties would have to change
(or rather be added to).

Sounds like he has someone younger and/or from a foreign country, who
will do the same work for half the salary, and he is trying to drive
you away without actually firing you.

Some thoughts:

1. You may be in a position to claim age harassment, although any
harassment claims need to be solidly documented.

2. If you have business cards, and the title is specific, you can
point out that the additional duties fo not fall under that title.

3. You can point out that the additional duties do not fall under the
job description as discussed when you were hired.

4. You can point out that certification was not a requirement, and
that you results speak out for your comptency.

At any rate, you are being scammed by a manager on a budget, who is
trying to use fear as a motivator and who may be getting a percentage
of every dollar saved, as a bonus. It is also possible that this
manager has the "if you aren't degreed/certified, then you don't
really know this stuff" mindset - which is a load of anally expressed
goo (evil grin).

It is in your best interests to get out of these additional duties,
or you will end up as the technical equivalent of a Walmart greeter.

If you can get out from under this manager, that might help...

It's so dreadful if your manager decides to use you in this way, probably
because his bosses want his *own* performance to improve.

I was once in this situation myself. I was able to sort it out because my
employer is government based and bullying is not allowed, even so, it
wasn't easy.
Lori, I know what it's like and I feel your pain. I don't know what to
advise you to do though, if you aren't in a union or work for the govt.

It's a well known method of bullying to give someone an unachievable
workload.
This was done to myself as at the time my manager hated me, our political
views didn't connect.
I was able to access the Welfare Service of my employer for advice and saw
the Occupational Health doctor as I'd become unable to work because of it.
Oh, wow, how this helped! After an interview with the OH doc, she sent a
strong letter that they must stop this workplace bullying immediately and
I was moved to another team with a different manager which I love, and am
very happy in.

I hope you find a better job soon. Private sector jobs suck, they think
they can do what they like with you.
Tweed

Yeah, since this business has only 8 employees it doesn't even have to abide
by most federal employee laws in this country. Sucks - but I'm diligently
looking for another job, so maybe I'll be out of this situation soon.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped