Old December 24th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default The stigma of owning a cat.

On Dec 24, 7:15*pm, Lesley wrote:
On 24 Dec, 07:47, bookie wrote:

anyway, al those people who claim they are allergic to cats YOU ARE
TALKING ********,

Not strictly true a friend of mine nearly died because cat hair gave
her asthma so badly she stopped breathing luckily in the ambulance

However making eyes stream and sting is not in the same league- a guy
I know was allergic to cat dander but his fiancee was a cat lover so
he took anithistamines and said "The cost of loving her is I have to
get used to cats"

Now they have 7 and his allergies are a lot better through he still
has to keep them out of the bedroom

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

'allergies' are caused by proteins in the cats saliva which set off
one's immune system to overreact, thinking that the invading alien
proteins are somehow harmfull and thus the usual symptoms of running
eyes, itching, sneezing etc are triggered off. asthma is something
else entirely and would not be sorted by antihistamines. i do applaud
your friend who took them though, after a while he may have got used
to the proteins and his immune system might have calmed down, is he
stil taking the medication? might find he does not need it anymore.

anyway, reason i am soooo peeved by people and their alleged allergies
is that i am looking for a new home and whenever i mention to
potential housemates that i would want to bring my cats to live there
too (well obviously i am going nowhere without them, unthinkable!)
some precious a-hole comes out with "oh but i am allergic!!!" which is
really starting to **** me off something chronic. the instances of cat
allergy amongst tenants in shared houses is unbelievably high, so high
that i do not believe them, and usually comes after sillly questions
like "but won't she chase off all the birds from the garden?" or "but
won't she pee everywhere?" or "but she will bite us won't
she?" (jessie has no teeth!!!!) or any other questions designed to
produce an answer which will lead them to say "ooooh no then we can't
let you bring a cat with you".

i'm all worked up now i have to go and cuddle a cat, it's just not
fair with it being christmas now and all that

bookie