Old December 25th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

Default The stigma of owning a cat.

On 24 Dec, 14:19, bookie wrote:
or any other questions designed to
produce an answer which will lead them to say "ooooh no then we can't
let you bring a cat with you".

If they don't want a cat all they have to do when you phone to ask
about the flat is politely say something like "No pets sorry" they can
even dress it up as "the landlord won't allow it"
I always think people who say "I don;t like cats" have either not yet
met the right cat (happened to a friend of mine who said "They're okay
but not for me"- I think because his ex-wife was mad about cats and
he's got a lot of bad memories about that time. Then one day he was
sitting in his living room and a cat walked in, looked round and
settled down-just like that and now he's looking for a new place to
live and can't move into somewhere that won't take Fuzzbutt....) or
there is just something wrong with their personality I feel sorry for
them obviously they will never settle down for a night's sleep and
have a warm purring bundle of joy snuggled next to them or find
themselves laughing at something the cat just did and is currently
giving the "I meant to do that" look (which makes it even funnier) or
just staring in amazement at how something that small can jump that
far or well....everyone here can fill in their special moments when
they realise how extra wonderful their cats are to them

Okay these people will never clean litter trays or wipe up after a
furball (I've actually heard that as an excuse for not having a cat
from a woman with two children- sorry? You could change a nappy but
it's beyond you to grab a bit of kitchen towel and wipe up a furball?
I can't stand human's being sick, I nearly join in but all I think
when a cat throws up is "Are you okay?")

Mind you the strangest reason I have heard for not liking cats has now
been told to me by three ladies from the West Indies so perhaps it's a
cultural thing and that is that cats are creatures of Satan and you
can tell because "At night you can see Satan shining out from their
eyes"

I tried explaining why a cats eye shines in the dark but they wouldn;t
have it all I got was a story from one of them about her cousin who
was about to go for a drive and a cat walked across his path and they
all said, he shouldn't make the journey because the "devil cat" has
cursed him and he laughed and drove off....and ,of course, there was a
terrible accident they found his brain 6 feet from the car...I think
she's quoting an urban legend but she insisted it happened to a cousin
of hers

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs