Old July 30th 03, 10:57 AM
Arjun Ray

In , "Phil P."
wrote:
| "Arjun Ray" wrote in message

| With adequate hydration, CRF cats usually pee [a lot,] so wouldn't
| *less* than normal urine output - which I believe is the meaning of
| oliguria - mean that the kidneys are shutting down altogether?
|
| Not necessarily. Oliguria can be physiologic or pathologic and
| reversible - depending on the cause. Oliguria could occur in a cat
| with primary polyuric renal failĀ*ure if some prerenal abnormality
| develops.

What kind of pre-renal abnormalities might trigger this? E.g. severe
azotemia, dehydration, low blood pressure?

| Or is it the case that oliguria in CRF cats can also be due to some
| kind of treatable blockage inside the kidneys?
|
| Renal pelvic stones (nephroliths) can certainly obstruct urine flow
| to the ureters, urinary bladder, and urethra.

I guess this was my main question: how susceptible are CRF cats to
developing blockages inside the kidneys? (Or would this be due to
causes not necessarily related to the CRF condition itself?)

| Urinary obstruction can also occur in cats that have some disorder or
| abnormality of innervation from any cause that result in diminished or
| ineffective detrusor contractions or lack of relaxation of the
| urethral sphincter mechanism.

Okay, so it can be post-renal, in the bladder too.

| As an aside, the bladder should *never* be expressed in a oliguric
| or anuric cat.

I believe the standard treatment is a diuretic - is that correct?